Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Internet.. or is it digital Literacy - A great resource

Knight-Crane Convergence Lab - Flickr - Knight Foundation (2) By Knight Foundation (Knight-Crane Convergence Lab) [CC-BY-SA-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Today, I found a really cool website , we are on "digital literacy in #etmooc and I am a researcher by nature. I have found "Internet Literacy's that I have to share: New Literacies of the Internet by learners.org website.

Please click on the link above, it gives an excellent session on "How has the Internet changed traditional views of literacy instruction". This great session includes a video as well as great resources and student assignments as well as a reinforced printouts. They state the learning goals as: At the end of this session, you will better understand how to:

  • organize your curriculum and instruction to meet the demands of the new literacies
  • integrate technology into your content-area curriculum
  • provide equal access to computer use for all of your students
  • teach your students to critically read and evaluate information on the Internet
  • ensure safe use of the Internet in your classroom
  • It's a great session and an easy to do for students of flat classrooms as well as teachers just looking for resources.

    I found it mildly amusing that their goals and questions are very similar to those of the International Society of Education Technology standards: posted here that fall under "Reseach and Information Fluency".

    Personally I think of each definition as "digital literacy" as of 2008, to be technically literate meant to be internet literate, or digtally literage it was just evolution. Only my 2 cents. I do like the definition from wikipedia quite a bit:

    "Digital literacy is the ability to effectively and critically navigate, evaluate and create information using a range of digital technologies. It requires one "to recognize and use that power, to manipulate and transform digital media, to distribute pervasively, and to easily adapt them to new forms".

    3 comments:

    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide
      credit and sources back to your website? My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from some of the
      information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
      Thank you!

      Have a look at my web-site grupa kreatywna

      ReplyDelete